Saturday, October 8, 2011

Baked Oatmeal


I love this baked oatmeal.  My 2-year-old loves it too.  He walks around asking for "more baked oatmeal" all day long!  I've made it with quick oats and regular rolled oats and I think I actually prefer the quick oats version.  You can use any fruit you want, I just use what I happen to have on hand.


Baked Oatmeal
Serves 4

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/4 cups fruit (blueberries, peaches, banana)
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 2  large eggs 
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • ¾ cups butter, divided (56g and 113g)
  • 2 cups rolled oats (I used quick oats and it was great)
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder 
  • ¼ teaspoons baking soda
  • ½ teaspoons salt
  • 4 Tbsp.  brown sugar
What you do:

Preheat oven to 350° F (180 C).

Melt butter; pour 1/4 cup into the bottom of a 9-inch square baking dish. Sprinkle fruit and 2 Tbsp of brown sugar on top of the butter. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix together the milk, honey, eggs, remaining butter and vanilla.  In a large bowl, whisk together oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.  Pour over the fruit and smooth the top. Sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbsp. of brown sugar.

Bake at 350°F for 40 to 50 minutes (20 min if you used quick oats), or until browned on top and fruit is bubbly. Allow to cool slightly. Serve with milk or cream. I topped it with a dollop of vanilla yogurt and it was fantastic!


Recipe Source: slightly adapted from Becky Bakes

No comments:

Post a Comment